About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Monday, February 10, 2014

Beating the Winter Blues


I has been a dreadfully cold winter here, many days in the -20F to -30F range (yes, that was a negative sign).  After our big ice storm, it took weeks before the horses could be turned out without risk of injury. They would walk and you could hear the cavern-like echo between the think ice sheets and snow right after the storm.  The horses broke through and Whiskey had a superficial leg injury and was clearly shaken. After this, I kept them in for weeks until I determined it was safe. The photo above is one of their first adventures back outside after the many weeks in the barn.  We used the indoor arena for turnout but keeping it dust free was problematic for many reasons.  I have played and ridden a little but nothing to speak of. They primarily hung around the feeder but seemed happy to be in the sunshine. When I turned them out, they walked wearily on the snow and ice but were not breaking through. Needless to say, there has not been too much going on at Natural Horse Lover Farm. The electrician has been unable to install the lights, the days are short, darkness long, and the temperatures have been unbearable.  I feel more like a horse waitress and maid...very sad indeed.

So, what can you do during challenging times like this?  Catch up on reading and videos, plan for future projects, and play games.  If you were not aware, I love video games and have since I was a kid.  I play a lot of Sniper Games on X-Box 360 but also enjoy game aps on my iPhone, iPad, and PC too.  Pretty much if it is a game, I love the challenge (board game, video game, etc.).

Recently, I became aware of VirtualHorseGames.net, a website that offers many horse-related games ranging from the fun to educational, on many platforms, in many languages, free, paid, and trials. There are not always a lot of horse games our there and this website indexes many of them.  Primarily for kids, it is still fun and worth a look!

So, stay warm and keep checking in, the down time and cold weather has to end soon!  I have big ideas and plans for this year... I cannot wait to share!  If you are local, consider connecting with me and plan to join in on the fun!

No comments: