About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, September 08, 2013

Getting lost and finding my way


As you know, if you've been a regular reader over the years, I talk about horses and other related things (that may not always be apparently related but trust me, they usually are).  Healthier living is a direct connection to my horsemanship as it is one of the keys to success in the quest for fitness for partnership.  Pat Parelli teaches that both the horse and human should have these to achieve true partnership: mental, emotional, and physical fitness It seems that the latter is one that I struggle with most and I know some of you do too. For those of you starting over after regaining the weight you had already lost, I wanted to tell you about my experience this morning. 

I was looking for the calculator instructions for Ellie, a Weight Watchers member who posted on our Facebook page (I did not find them), and came across my old weight record from 2010. That was the year that in 12 months, I lost over 70lbs and was doing great. If you search through the blog, some of the evidence is written about throughout. In looking back, I realized that I struggled though the holidays, had memories of tough times at work in April 2011, then that summer, I hurt my back, Rick got sick, and from then on, I was lost.

The reason why this is important is because I was able to tangibly see that I could indeed be successful and that now, in hindsight (of course) I know that in order to get and stay at goal, I need to have good strategies for the tough times. My point is that perhaps the first time was just practice and that giving up is never an option. Much like horsemanship, we have to practice.  "Practice doesn't make perfect - only perfect practice makes perfect!" ~ Pat Parelli.

The other thing I came across was a love letter from Rick and my pets cheering me on and a love letter I wrote to myself as an exercise given to me by my Weight Watchers leader at the time, both very significant and important to me. I had forgotten about them and was truly moved at my finding this morning. 

I should probably reveal that I've recommitted to living the Weight Watchers lifestyle a week ago.  I am using Weight Watchers Online and hosting a weekly Weight Loss Support Group on campus (a requested event from people at the university, not WW-centric but a supportive environment for anyone trying to get healthy). As before, my week runs Saturday-Friday.  I weighed in yesterday and much to my surprise and delight, I've lost 3.5 pounds in the first week. I made some wise decisions throughout the week and indulged too. You have to love a program that allows that! Now onto week two, I've been doing everything I need to including daily formal exercise, tracking, eating with the good health guidelines in mind, menu planning, and more. I feel good again, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally too. I feel empowered and as always and much to my good fortune, Rick and the critters are here for me (Morgan, my Great Dane even stretches with me at the end of my workouts).

As for horses today, the plan is to post my laminated dressage letters, patterns, etc. in the arena.  I didn't get to that task yet and Rick has agreed to help.  I'd also like to ride Whiskey today, for some reason I keep dreaming about it. We are also going to put the cow-flavored (lol) barrel covers on the barrels, inflate my new Parelli green ball, and continue to prepare for winter!  Yes, you read that right, we are flying into fall weather and winter is said, according to the Farmer's Almanac, to be very bitter here this year.  The lounge/classroom will likely not be complete (this will be the one heated space in the new barn) so I've got to figure out a Plan B for barn time without the risk of freezing to death!  I am also still in a holding pattern for the lighting project - patience is a virtue that I believe I'll always struggle with! :)

I guess the main point of the post overall is to care for others but never forget to care for yourself. You are important and worthy. oxox

No comments: