The weekend was a long wonderful two days of working on the farm...I feel so happy to be outside again. Rick and I worked on the paddock, stacked firewood, cleaned the hay loft, hauled hay, relocated the hay feeder, and much more. I also trimmed hooves...my muscles are still burning (I will never do this for a living).
The sun is shining, temperatures are up, and everything seems a bit nicer these days (or most days anyway - we are still blessed with beautiful gray days). The list of to-do items seem about a month behind schedule and very long but, who's counting! Anyhow, contractors are starting to come out and give estimates again and Rick and I are working on a schedule to complete work. It is taking time, more than perhaps other people and their projects but, we know we are doing it right and we have a lifetime to enjoy it.
So on the current list is to: (not necessarily in this order)
- Put fencing back up (was removed for the project).
- Varnish stalls and other wood in the facility.
- Install mats and move horses in!
- Road fabric, gravel, and board fence around the arena and barn.
- Spread out 25 huge loads of dirt and fill around the building.
- Install french drain in front of horse barn.
- Install electricity, plumbing, and heat.
- Install outdoor vault toilet (pending approval - still a thought in progress)
- Remove gravel in aisle and incomplete area in horse barn, prep site and have concrete floor poured.
- Complete classroom/lounge space.
- Complete wash rack space.
- Complete entryway/tack area.
- Mineral oil arena.
- Complete paddock renovation from turnout/play area to precision pen.
- Put outdoor playground back together.
- Create dressage arena (may need to clear trees).
- Install round pen (either reinstall temporary pen or get metal panels - which may wait until next year).
- Landscaping everywhere.
- Build new chicken coop and facility.
- Have fire department come out to burn huge brush/tree pile.
- Seed big field and around new pond.
- AND MORE, MORE, MORE (The list never ends.)
By the way, if you haven't read the other posts, we are trying to get a technology grant as part of Intuit's Small Business Growing Strong campaign so if you haven't voted yet, please do - daily and share! Wish granting starts on May 6th! VOTE DAILY AND SPREAD THE WORD! Thank you!