About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Thursday, May 03, 2012

And.....there off!


Image from Equine News Today : https://www.facebook.com/EquineNewsToday

The Kentucky Derby is once again, just around the corner.  There is a great deal of controversy in the racing industry regarding the care and treatment of horses.  I am pleased however that Parelli Natural Horsemanship and other forms of gentle training have infiltrated the racing scene. As with anything in life, there are two sides to the story and thankfully, this is a good side, a very good side...partnership with race horses! 

One such race horse training business, "Savvy Racing" owned by two Parelli Professionals, Theresa Zenner and Rhett Fincher, has a mission that is simple,clear, and savvy!


"Our Mission: We will always put the development and maintenance of the horse’s mental and emotional fitness first by utilizing the tools and techniques of Natural Horsemanship. Building on a well rounded and solid foundation, we will use communication, understanding and psychology to bring the racehorse through our program,  racehorse training business." 

It seems to me that there are a great deal of disciplines that could use a mission like theirs! Great job Theresa and Rhett! I wish there were more people out there like you two! You are making a better place for horses and humans in the racing industry!

So, will you be hosting a party for this year's derby?  Making mint juleps?  Perhaps placing a bet or two? I've never had a Derby party nor have I had the opportunity to attend the event.  I hear it is a great time and one big party! And, as far as the juleps, I have not tried one although I have so much mint growing in my garden, maybe I'd better find a recipe! As for betting, I've bet on races at the track in the past but never the Derby. When I was much younger, I used to go to Fort Erie, Canada and worked on the backside actually-something new you've learned today.  Apparently, this year, Doc's Sport Service is offering $60 in free Kentucky Derby picks online!  That seems like a good deal if you are the gambling type. :)

I'll probably be off working on the new barn and playing with my horses...unless it rains!  And, I'll probably hear about the results after the fact. I wish all of the horses, owners, trainers, and spectators good luck.  Let's have a fun and safe event while keeping it SAVVY!

No comments: