About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Monday, April 16, 2012

Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget

Well, I got the quote from Morton Buildings today and apparently I have champagne taste on a beer budget (story of my life). The quote was three times what I expected! I have to admit that I had read many posts on message boards purporting that Morton was expensive but this was rather ridiculous. They are going to rework the design but, I am not very confident that they will be able to meet my needs and stay within my budget. You know, it isn't like I was expecting 1980's pricing for goodness sake!

So, now for plan B, (which was my original, long ago plan anyway---back to the fabric structure idea). Rather than being closed minded, I am always willing to rethink plans (whether I want to or not). I decided to call my friend Beth who I told you about the other day. She owns Adirondack Structures and sells Britespan and Norseman structures. I spoke with her about my main concerns which include (for now) cover replacement cost should I need to after the warranty is up (after 16 years) and marketability should I need to sell. Much to my surprise, replacement covers are less than I expected and doable. Resale is at about 60-70% initial investment value and apparently, people actually are always looking to buy used buildings, take them down, and put up at their homes - who knew?! An additional benefit is the lack of property taxes because the building is movable and thus, temporary. And, I learned that they retain heat in the winter and that using salamander heaters, not only can I get the snow to melt and disappear but, should I choose to, I can easily take the chill out of the air and not freeze to death! She told me that there is an 80' x 209' in Lake Placid that when it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit below zero, people were walking around in t-shirts because they had a few salamander heaters running. Wow, now that is a draw!

So, I basically got a lesson in humility (again - hahaha) and severe dose of reality, particularly when it comes to construction (a lesson I can easily translate into my professional life). So, I've down-scaled my original design to ensure that I stay within my budget and am getting a quote from Beth in the next few days. I am having her send several quotes giving her free-reign to suggest ideas. I also drew up a plan that includes 65’ x 130’Indoor Riding Arena with attached 36’ x 48’ Horse Barn (see below--you may need to click on the image and use the zoom feature in your browser). The design did not call for a loft but, we may do that anyway to save space, nothing I have to decide at the moment. Here is the design I sent her this evening. A little smaller than the Morton Structure but, I believe it is still quite adequate for my needs. (I got a fast quote on the structure size I sent to Morton and she was far less but, I still see a need to down-size.) The lesson learned here is to be flexible, open-minded, and have a back-up plan. :) More to come!


3 comments:

Lisa said...

My only suggestion is this - go as wide as possible. 65' may look wide but when you start working at the canter, it gets narrow. There is barely enough room in our 60' wide arena to get a good simple change, let alone a flying change.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Thanks, Lisa. I also have her drawing up a quote for a 72' wide. This is so complicated!!!

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Okay, I just sent her an email to be sure she gives me figures for a 72'x120' and a 72'x140'. Any wider and it is too pricey.