This week's task is to start thinking about and reading about spring grass founder. Are you prepared, is your horse ready? Hopefully the weather will warm up and the grass will grow. And, if it does, you'll have to be prepared to wean your horse back onto the beautiful grass. Below are some resources for you to check out, please add more in the comments section!
- Founder and Spring Pastures By: Stephanie Valberg, DVM, PhD; Paul Peterson, PhD and Krishona Martinson, PhD http://www.extension.umn.edu/forages/pdfs/Founder_and_spring_pastures.pdf
- Spot the Hoof Disease Laminitis Early By Christine Barakat http://www.equisearch.com/magazines/Equus/spotlaminitis_032305
- Laminitis Treatment: A Natural Medicine Perspective By Joyce Harman DVM MRCVS and Madalyn Ward DVM http://www.hoofcare.com/article_pdf/HoofcareHarmanWardNat418EC.pdf
- Founder in Horses by Kerry O’Connell http://home.mcn.net/~kerryo/founder.htm
- Lush spring pastures can be dangerous temptations for horses. By Dr. Tom Lenz of AQHA Corporate Partner Fort Dodge Animal Health http://americashorsedaily.com/grass-founder/
- Grass Founder By Richard Mansmann and Christine King http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_view.php?id=66