About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Non-Scale Victories


Well, as strange as it may seem, sometimes a victory comes in the form of something other than what the scale is telling you! I've had two this weekend despite a rough week last week full of bad decisions made for a variety of reasons.

The first victory is the fact that my barn coat and pants, the ones for the really cold days, are so huge that I had to buy a new coat! I also acquired a new regular winter coat for the same reason.(See photo above.) It was important to buy the new clothing not only for looks but, safety. It is not safe to be in baggy clothing with your horses, especially when riding.

The second was the realization that despite the ups and downs of the scale, I am doing okay and will get to my lifetime goal, this year. It is a journey, a life-long proposition, not a diet! :) And so far, it is going well. I am truly taking the time it takes to do it right.

I posted the following on my Weight Watchers Facebook groups page and wanted to share it with the rest of you, and especially those of you working on similar goals (whether they be horse,health, or other goals). It is easy to fall into the trap of negative self-talk, not matter how hard we are trying and that can be detrimental. In any event, here is what I discovered today:

In natural horsemanship, the ideal partnership is where both horse and human have mental, physical, and emotional fitness. When I started WW last January, this is what I had in mind, and that it was important that I found this balance in my life as I was expecting my horses to have it. Darcy is right, negativity towards oneself is not productive and I am the first to typically violate this principle. How interesting that I think of it as a principle now because another tenant in my life (and especially with my relationship with my horses) is to always put my principles before my goals. That is precisely what I need to do for my WW journey which is also, and most truly, a balance of mental, physical, and emotional fitness. Epiphany!


This post had meaning not only for me but, my WW friends. Isn't it remarkable how Parelli is in all aspects of our lives (even in the loves of non-horse people? Awesome. By the way, the horses are doing great. We have had some impromptu play time out in the snow on the warmer days and lots of goodies, scratches, and non-demanding time. That said, I really cannot wait for SPRING!! :)

4 comments:

strivingforsavvy said...

You look great! Good work!

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Thank You!!! :)

horsegirlonajourney.com said...

Great point about us having the balance that we want our horses to have, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

I missed Zumba this week but I watched part of the January Savvy Club DVD while riding my new spin bike until I was calm, trusting, obedient, and willing! LOL

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Great job getting in your activity no matter what! :)