About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Weekly Task Challenge: What if...

If you don't know what to do, have little time, or just feeling stuck, try the weekly task as a way to at least do something with your horse! (It just may motivate you to do more!)

I've heard about so many horses injured lately that it occurred to me that planning in case of an emergency would be a good idea. So, this week's challenge is to plan for the "what ifs" in your horse's life.

What if your horses needed stall rest, could you provide it? What if your horse needed hydrotherapy, could you do it--would he let you? What if your horse needed emergency care, could you get a veterinarian out to your farm in time? What if you needed to provide first-aid, do you know what to do and do you have the tools to do it?

Think long and hard and write a list of what ifs with solutions! If you cannot figure out a solution to a "what if" or wnat to pose one to others, post here using the comments feature!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Two what ifs:

What if you pull your horse in from the pasture and, in the process of cleaning his foot, you discover he's stepped on a nail and punctured the bottom of his foot?

What if your horse ends up with a serious corneal ulcer and you have to medicate her with ointment and drops? (and that's just the beginning)

Been through both of those and *never* want to do it again.

What I learned:
If your horse has a hoof puncture, don't pull anything out. Call a vet and get an x-ray to see if the hoof capsule is compromised. I didn't and I was damn lucky!

Prepare your horse for eye meds by playing friendly game with their eyelids. Make sure you can pull their bottom eye lid down, etc.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Really good ones, Lisa. Thank you for sharing!

Lauren said...

Yes, been through the eye scratch requiring ointments. Definitely worth getting the horse prepared BEFORE.

Another one, what if your horse is injured and requires pain medication daily for a week or two. Can you easily administer paste? And will your horse let you 'doctor' them? Been through that one myself recently - more than once :( - and it was a most interesting learning lesson. Teaching my horse that he had to let me doctor his torn up legs. Not the lesson I would have chosen, but you go with the horse that shows up!

Continue to love your blog, Michelle! HUG!!