About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Weekly Task Challenge: Blanketing with Savvy

If you don't know what to do, have little time, or just feeling stuck, try the weekly task as a way to at least do something with your horse! (It just may motivate you to do more!)

With the winter months upon us, some horse owners like myself, use blankets to provide our horses with some extra protection. If you are a blanket user, one thing you should be certain of it that your horse accepts the process of being blanketed, and that you are putting the blanket on your horse with savvy, not just haltering and forcing your horse to stand still and take it. You should be able to blanket your horse without being haltered and, your horse should come running to you when he sees you, even with a blanket in hand!

The act of blanketing is a friendly game much like when you play with a tarp (putting it over your horse) in the arena or saddle your horse! However, sometimes, you'll find that even if you've blanketed your horse for years, the first time or two in the season, they can be leery.

This week's challenge is to properly prepare your horse for blanketing by playing the seven games, in all four savvys, with your horse and the blanket! Use the blanket as the target, have some treats in your pocket,be creative, and have fun with it! Success will mean you can blanket with savvy and your horse will appreciate and even ask to be covered! Have fun, be safe, and of course, as always, be savvy!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You mean you don't just walk in the stall and heave it up on the horse? Seriously, both my horses are completely accepting of blanketing - a serious MUST for anyone who boards!

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

You are too funny Lisa. Mine are great too and I can blanket in the dark, no halters, etc. But, it took time to get to that point. Can I say, I've actualy seen people (you know, Pat's gunsel category) chasing their horses around with the blanket! LOL too funny and sad really.

Take care and stay warm!

PeterC said...

Well, Because of you I took out the blankets last night and gave it a whirl. I expected everything to go fine and dandy as I did the introduction right a while back, and sure enough, taking the time it takes actually works. Oh Sun's head was a little high but I kinda bunched the blanket up over her eyes so just worked on that a little to fix my mistake.

Normally I would put the blankets over their backs and unfold and do them up that way, but speed speed speed is what a farm hand wants, so I do it their way...

PeterC

PeterC said...

Just for good luck I also spent some time looking in mouths and scratching ears too!

PeterC