About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Monday, December 06, 2010

Life Is Simply Too Short...Find Joy

So, the day after Thanksgiving, I found myself responding to a family emergency that took me away from home, away from my husband, away from my horses, dogs, and kitty, away from my normal life, away from work, downstate, to support my family. I won't get into details to maintain privacy but suffice it to say, this was not something that was on my radar and truly made me think long and hard about my own mortality, how I wanted to spend the rest of my life, and so forth. My birthday was over the weekend too which added to these thoughts of life being far too short and making the most of it was truly important. It is all too easy to get caught up in the day-to-day activities of existing and forget about the big picture of truly living.

Today, I sit here typing this entry looking out in the woods from my window, enjoying the flurries of snow falling, Pat Parelli playing with a horse at liberty (level 3) on my big-screen TV, toasty fire in the wood stove, dogs and kitty laying about, and the horses, groomed, fed, blanketed and now leisurely munching hay in the barn (although they could venture outside if they wanted to). I decided after such a crazy week, I needed one day off, all to myself (Rick is off plowing snow).

My journey to better fitness is going well. I am still doing Zumba and was approached about going to instructor training by one of my instructor--quite flattering really (it is coming to my area). Unfortunately, It is too costly for me right now...bummer because I really wanted to do it! All well, someday.

Anyhow, I've mostly maintained my weight over the last several weeks but, and that is okay. However, I want to lose more and am getting antsy! Weight Watchers started a new program called, PointsPlus this week and that is working well for me. They are now taking into consideration many components that make up calories, not just calories. Anyhow, you can visit their website for information. In short, it seems like a more wholesome, holistic approach and I like it. It has forced me to get out of my recent stagnate complacency and back to focusing intently on the materials and the journey.

Consequently, I feel more able to begin focusing more intently on my Parelli journey too (despite any obstacles that I may face). I spent time early this morning (4:30am) out in the barn, grooming, blanketing, and playing with the horses, feeding them, and just being with them. It had been a week since we saw each other and Fosse and Lola wanted to test the herd hierarchy, Whiskey was just happy to be hanging out. I was just happy to be with them, breathing their hot breath, smelling their fur, stroking their manes...you get the idea, yes, a love affair with my horses. :)

A few tools I have on my Christmas wish list are a new saddle (Wintec X-wide for Lola), a proper round corral (metal paneled one that is movable), setting up a proper all-weather arena, developing the trail system at home, and there are a few items I'd love from the Parelli sales flyer too. I also need to get a wood shed built with the wood that is in my horse trailer! The wish list is great but, I'll have to save to get there, and none of it will come for Christmas...life seems to continually get in the way (my good friend says, not enough month for the money--sadly true). We've had a great deal of unexpected expenses lately...depressing but life. LOL

I am not truly certain of the purpose of this post but perhaps it is a mechanism to remind myself that I have important things going on in my life and I need to remember that even though I love to help others, even though I have tons of responsibilities, that I need to find time to pursue my goals and ambitions, that it is okay to save and spend on things I want, that I don't have to always feel guilty about spending time and money on myself--it is a constant issue for me. As a matter of reality, life is too short, in a blink of an eye, it will all be over, and frankly, there is more to do than time we have time to do it on this Earth.

Take care of yourselves, your loved ones, your horses and other critters. Focus on love, language, and leadership in all aspects of your life. Be savvy, be safe, and above all, find joy.

2 comments:

Naturally Gaited said...

Amen.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

I agree, amen...I miss you, Clare. *teary*