Okay, I realize that it is only September but, winter is around the corner and it is time to get prepared! How does the barn look, what condition is your equipment in, do you have enough hay ordered? This week is a good opportunity to get started. Depending on how you run your barn and how you care for your horses will depend on your needs.
Here are some ideas:
- Clean, repair, and put away your horse's fly sheets, masks, and leg protection.
- Pull out the winter blankets, hoods, and other gear, examine them for rips and tears, clean and fix them or send them off to be taken care of!
- Clean out the tack room and sell or discard those items you no longer need.
- Create a winter budget for hay and grain needs.
- Check and count the hay you have left, if you haven't done so already, contact your hay dealer and place an order to get you through the winter. make whatever arrangements you need to ensure easy access.
- Examine your water tank heater and make sure it is okay to plug in, then test it!
- Are your water tank and hay feeder in good repair and ready for winter--find out.
- Do you have a snow shovel, pet-friendly deicer, and a plow ready to be put to work? If you wait until you need them it will be too late. Check your equipment, make a list, and be prepared.
There are many other things you may want to do and if you want to, please share them here in the comments section!