About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Herd-bound...NOT! :)

I had and absolutely fabulous day and interesting encounter with Lola. One thing that I can say about her is that she is NOT herd-bound and that is a good thing.

After I got home from my WW meeting and a 60 minute walk/run with Morgan, I had a healthy lunch and then starting chores. I cleaned out the outdoor dog kennel, cleaned the barn, fed the horses (several times--lots of fresh garden goodies), picked apples (ate two fresh-picked off the tree). I also harvested okra, long beans, poblanos, cubanellas, giant marconi peppers, white fingerling potatoes, red pontiac potatoes, white and red swiss chard, pie pumpkins, shallots, egg plant (black beauty and japanese), and yellow summer squash. (There is much more out there to pick but not today).
When we planted the garden, we put a few seeds out in a hill in the big field and I hadn't checked on them since. I walked out there and did whistle to the horses to get their attention should they want to join me. Not unexpectedly, I heard the thundering hooves heading my way within a few seconds. There they were, acting goofy and spunky,herding one another, spinning, bucking. I checked to see that nothing grew (no wonder, this patch of veggies went ignored).


Anyhow, Fosse and Whiskey let out a whinny and took off at a gallop back to the barn. Lola stood, then squealed, took off a few steps and stopped, turned and looked at me, then in the direction of the boys. She spun around and ran back to me. There she stood checking things out, I played friendly with her. After a few minutes, Lola and I walked back towards the barn, she at my side, completely at liberty, watching my every step and keeping me in her zone 3. Once back, she saw the boys but kept with me until such time that I gave her a treat and told her good-bye as I had to get back to the house.
Then, a quick, 30 minute workout, a shower, then dinner (which was healthy leftovers so that was easy enough). After dinner, a little Rick and Michelle time (black and white movies-- 1951, The Alligator People was the top of the list!) I also received a few new books in the mail to look through.
I am feeling so happy, strong, motivated, and focused in every aspect of my life. Lola's determination and thought to stay with me was really rewarding. I loved that she went to take off with a defiant, playful squeal but then thought better of it, turning to be with me over Fosse and Whiskey---not something I expected. This horse surprises me a every turn.

3 comments:

Parelli Central said...

What a lovely post, Michelle! I am happy to hear you are doing so well. Gosh, I wish I had a garden like yours! All we managed this year was tomatoes in the whiskey barrels :-)

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Trainee Instructor
Parelli Central

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Thanks, Petra, and that list isn't even half of it! We have an 80'x80' garden and grow everything you can think of! :) It is like a mini-produce farm.

Parelli Central said...

Wow, sounds awesome!!!!! I remember those times when I had time for a veggie and flower garden - vaguely :-) Maybe next year?!

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Trainee Instructor
Parelli Central