About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Pondering Emotional Fitness

I sit here this evening thinking a lot about emotional fitness, not just in horsemanship but in life. My in-laws have been visiting for 6 days now and it has been difficult to say the least (as it has been for the past 20 years). Without getting into gory details, I've had to endure criticism, disingenuous remarks, hurtful remarks lacking any tact, and more. I have been feeling frustrated, sad, and even a bit depressed. I've had no horse time, find myself cleaning compulsively (and my house is clean and organized to begin with). I've also felt a bit abandoned by my husband (who is my best friend and partner) whose caring nature prohibits him from engaging them. What I did to try to remedy this situation yesterday is to have a heart-to-heart with Rick about my feelings and we discussed the issues. I walked away feeling much better, I believe because I was able to confirm or realize that he truly understands, more than I ever thought. That brings me to today, although there were a few things of concern, overall it was a good day and I attribute that to my own emotional fitness, not worrying about what other people were saying or doing. Instead, I just worried about how I reacted and the fact that I wanted to remain calm, caring, and aware, without over reacting, without allowing it to anger or hurt me, and without it ruining my very soul. When I tie this experience to horsemanship, what I think of is our interaction with other horse people and of course our interactions with our horses. The emotional fitness key is to not let feelings override your emotional fitness, don't get frustrated or angry (with horses or humans), be a good leader (for horses and humans) and the pieces will fall together. You cannot control others but, you can control yourself...just a thought.

No comments: