About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Monday, July 12, 2010

Weekly Task Challenge: Undemanding Time - Scratch Those Itchy Places

If you don't know what to do, have little time, or just feeling stuck, try the weekly task as a way to at least do something with your horse! (It just may motivate you to do more.)

After some interesting thoughts and experiences I've had with Lola this week, I've decided that this week's task will be a little different from what you might expect. And to begin, yes, I know I am weird--call is crativity! I am looking for you all to spend undemanding time while on your horse! Is this possible you ask? Why yes!

This is what I plan to do and challenge you to do the same. If you need to make any modifications for safety sake, please do so. If you have a better idea, please post! I am always up for anything new to try! Don't be shy!

Horses are itchy this time of year, no matter how many potions and lotions, screens, etc. we use. Well, I know where my horses' itchy spots are, do you? The first part of the task is to identify those areas (usually underneath the belly, under the chin, between the back legs). Then, purchase a backscratcher (or use something you think would work in the same way and not hurt you or your horse---or even try your carrot stick!) Anyhow, go visit your horse, be sure to ask for permission to enter his/her space if in a stall, and if in a field, allow him to catch you. Halter with savvy, mount up bareback (no pad) politely and after asking permission, and just hurry up and do nothing (meaning just sit there). You can flex either side to ensure brakes should you need them. Then, don't ask your horse for anything. Allow them to graze, walk around, whatever (you are a passenger). Take your backscratcher or carrot stick or whatever you are using, and find those itchy spots. You'll probably have to lay on your horse to do this. This is going to be a fun, friendly, undemanding session with your horse. Can you imagine how this will help with you bond? Amazing. Have fun, be safe, be savvy.

3 comments:

Parelli Central said...

Michelle,
Great idea for a weekly task. I spend lots of time with my horses on the ground doing undemanding time, but lately had little chance to do undemanding time as a passenger. You gave me an idea what to do this week :-)

Petra Christensen
1Star Parelli Junior Instructor

Naturally Gaited said...

Try a cheap plastic pasta "spork" as your scratcher! :-)

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Glad to help, Petra! It is always nice to find new, creative ideas.

Clare...a spork! Now that is funny!