About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Thursday, July 08, 2010

New Milestone - Completed My First 5K


So, as you know, part of my horsemanship journey includes physical fitness and I am striving to lose weight, workout, and become super fit. Well tonight, I completed my first 5K Race called the Tour de Potsdam (I was runner number 16,there were 45 runners.)

However, unfortunately, I could not run the entire race as planned. I was running strong for about 15 min (in 95 degree humid temps), hit a water station and drank water--big mistake, made me feel nauseous and sick, anyhow, I continued to run and eventually walked for a bit worried that I may have been suffering from heat exhaustion, then I ran again with a big push at the end thanks to a friend for cheering me on. So, I did finish and was cheered by the crowd which was really nice (but I was last). The timer lady didn’t record my time unfortunately but it was over 60 min considering the person before me had 60:16. I have a lot of work to do! At home, I've been running 2 miles in 25 minutes but, never in this kind of heat so hopefully that was my main issue--I think so as I'd hoped to run the race in 40-45 min. I do feel a bit disappointed and feel like a pathetic loser (part of my perfectionism shining through). I probably could have just walked it faster. :(

Despite my feelings, I am proud to have even tried. I only just started running in mid-May and at that time, I could barely run for one minute at a time with a 90 second break! So, I really have made huge progress. I was very nervous all day and especially when I arrived at the race site. This was way outside my comfort zone but I went anyway! I have never run a race before and certainly have never run in public (and not with people I work with-and some of them were there--they've never seen me in street clothes let alone workout garb). To help with my nerves throughout the day and at the site, I was imagining Stephanie Burns and what she talks about regarding horses and comfort zones trying to channel some positive energy and courage. I also kept reminding myself that I needed to find focus and run with focus, much like we ride with focus.

Anyhow, I think I’ll continue on this running journey because I do like it and plan to sign up for the Hobble Gobble (prediction race) in Potsdam, NY scheduled for November with Morgan (my Great Dane). The weather will be much more agreeable for sure. There is also a dog 5K run in Norwich, Vermont in September but, it is 4 hours away so I am not sure about that one--we will see. I truly missed my running partner, Morgan tonight. She is my strength and my support, she is my true-blue partner.

4 comments:

Naturally Gaited said...

Yeah!! It doesn't matter what place you finished in, just that you finished. (You can't control the fitness or number of other runners!)

You did it! You did a 5k and lived! Just think of the example that you are living for others.

I'm so proud of you. :-))

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Thank you so much Clare, that really means a great deal to me. I've been getting all kinds of wonderfully supportive words from my Facebook folks and the PSRG. Wow, I never realized how many people I've inspired or that I have routing for me. You all are completely incredible.

HUGS,
Michelle

inchwormwv said...

Good Job Michelle! I know about those harsh words we sometimes say to ourselves - maybe you can tell that little voice, "very interesting" and then move on. :-)

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Thanks, Tenley---I may just start telling my "little voice" to KISS OFF! LOL