About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Just a little trim time


I took 3 hours to myself this afternoon (leaving Rick and his parents to do other things wihthout me) to get in some horse time trimming Lola and Fosse's hooves (Whiskey is tomorrow or later in the week depending on schedules and weather), grooming all of them (they just love getting scratches), and cleaning the barn and it felt great as I've not had any time all week with them (I miss them and they live here). Fosse just stands there, no need to tie him or anything (I don't actually tie any of the horses when I do their feet), and viola, he is done. I am able to do the job sitting down and wow, I am right under him...so cool! Lola was really good today too, much better than any time before, she is truly coming along. She does play a game where she starts to back up. In the beginning, I found it very frustrating, now, I just say, outloud, "how interesting" and then ask her politely to come back. I give her a scratch, play a little friendly, and start again. I do the same if she goes sideways, I just make it an opportunity to play the 7 games with her being certain to be friendly, I smile forcing myself to be emotionally fit, and her reactions are much better. We are no longer battling but communicating. Anyhow, she takes a bit longer but, I would take all day if I had to. Whiskey, when trimmed, is also quite good and lets me get the job done, much better than when I first got him (he used to rear and really act up). I just love being with the horses, no matter what we are up to! (Nope, I am not your typical horse person.)

4 comments:

Naturally Gaited said...

I'm relieved to see that you've posted! I was starting to worry about you. What is it that they say, "the outside of a horse is great for the inside of a human" or something like that.. :-)

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Thanks for being concerned and for understansing my totally brief phone conversation today. They are leaving on Thursday and things should return to normal until the next wave of visitors.

I think you were thinking of this quote:


"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."
~Winston Churchill

My animals are all great for my soul and always make me feel better. :) I cannot imagine life without them.

horsegirlonajourney.com said...

"We are no longer battling but communicating."

Hm, how interesting. Just a few days later, you got to this point -- or at least a lot closer to it, due to the heart-to-heart with Rick -- about the in-laws, too.

Amazing how much time I'll put into hoof care compared to how much effort I put into procrastinating trimming the dog's nails. Oops.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

OMG you are so perceptive horsegirl, I never thought of that! WOW...thank you for opening my eyes! :)