About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Friday, July 09, 2010

Just Do It - My Latest Epiphanies!


e·piph·a·ny   /ɪˈpɪfəni/ [ih-pif-uh-nee] –noun, plural -nies.
a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

Epiphany #1: After a ton of positive feedback regarding yesterday's 5K run, I realized more clearly this morning that I truly have a huge support network in my life and feeling privileged for it. :)

Epiphany #2: I was chatting with a girl on Facebook today, she is in her twenties, lives in the area -- Rick and I met her when we moved here, she was our waitress most of the time we frequented a local establishment--we always asked for her as she was simply wonderful, and eventually she just disappeared. I met up with her at last week's Weight Watchers Meeting. She has a past riddled with bad choices, addictions, health issues, and much more. She is a sweet, funny, charismatic young woman who needs to give herself a chance to have a good life. She wants to find success in a counseling role but still needs to find her way in the world and learn to love herself and take care of herself. I feel a bit frustrated and concerned because I feel like she is making excuses and being lazy about trying to change and thus make progress. Anyhow, she was talking about a slip up regarding drugs that happened last night (pot smoking for the sake of relaxation beccuase of a rough time she is having - although she used to be into some really hardcore stuff apparently) and this is an excerpt of what I wrote to her:

"...You want to help others and go to school, I guess it all depends on how bad you want it. This, only you can decide. I think it [quitting drugs] is like doing Weight Watchers or any other self-help program, you have a goal, and there is a way to get there. However, getting there is the hardest thing in the world and it takes courage, strength, support, and drive. It takes focus, tools, imagination, and time. And, it is NOT EASY, and is A LOT of WORK! But, you can do it, and you are worthy of it. So, you can stop smoking, stop over eating, you can modify all behaviors that you chose in life but, it is work and takes tons of determination. And, you are smart, half the battle is knowing what you need to do, the other half is just doing it..."

I personally do not use drugs but to me, they are just another addiction people use to cope, no different than caffeine addicts, smokers, alcoholics, overeaters, shopaholics, etc. This is an over simplification but I think you get my meaning. I am basically not judging her nor do I plan to.

She responded that what I had written to her was extremely powerful and truly impacted her. She thanked me for taking the time and remarked that I truly gave her something to ponder. Then, she told me to write it down because is was poweerful, meaningful stuff. At that moment, I realized that I could have just as easily been talking to myself about Weight Watchers, about the 5K, and of course, about my horsemanship and Parelli assessments! I was coaching someone else not realizing that my words and the knowledge that I needed to succeed and move forward were right in my head. That this was perfect reasoning! Why is it that I can say these things to others but not allow myself to hear them for myself? Well, hear this...I am listening, I have heard, now I need an action plan!

Action Plan: Create a written, detailed plan for the week including these components: 1. horse activity 2. exercise 3. menu 4. work to-do list 5. home to-do list

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Fabulous coaching - of this young lady at a crossroads in her life - and of your Self! You are fortunate, and I'm sure have put in a lot of work - to have a great support system. I wish that for this young lady too.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Thanks, Lauren. She has a lot of work to do but, she needs to stop complaining and making excuses and do something....there in lies the challenge because no one can do it for her. *sigh*

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Thanks, Lauren. She has a lot of work to do but, she needs to stop complaining and making excuses and do something....there in lies the challenge because no one can do it for her. *sigh*