About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Weekly Task Challenge: Friendly in the Delicate Zones!

If you don't know what to do, have little time, or just feeling stuck, try the weekly task as a way to at least do something with your horse! (It just may motivate you to do more.)

So, my question is, how often do you touch your horse in those areas know as delicate zones? Is you horse really okay with your friendly game, everywhere---he should be!

This week's task is to play friendly game in the delicate zones or other trouble spots on your horse. Some of the areas may include but are not limited to the delicate region on the face, ears, in the mouth, between the back legs, those touchy private parts that may need a little scratch and cleaning thanks to the flies and mud, under the tail, you get the picture! You want your horse to accept your touch everywhere, and be relaxed about it. Don't force it, don't forget your phases and use the game of approach and retreat, be kind, be courteous, be savvy. Your horse will thank you!

6 comments:

PeterC said...

Something I'll have to work on with Sunrise. When I first got her she was not bad at everything, then at some point her teats became taboo. Somedays are okay, others not so much. Cayleigh has come to let me examine her ears and rub between them but is obviously still not enjoying the touch. Then again, Arab do have ear issues and I try to play with her everyday, and hope to get her to the stage of enjoying the touch.
To test for friendly nono spots you can play the "hand over hand" game that Pat shows in the Savvy Vault. Basically, start with a hand on the withers and one on the chest, then slide the hand up the neck, over the lips and up the head, over the ears and down, switching hands when you reach the whithers until run your hand down to the hock. Obviously, paying close attention to the body language the whole time. I try to do this once a week to both my girls and would do it to any horse that is new to me once I've taken stock of them.
PeterC

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Thanks for posting and trying out the weekly task! Also, the remindder about Pat's game in the vault was great...I'm going to check it out.

-Michelle

PeterC said...

Woot! Successfully played, at liberty in the midst of the herd! Even Cayleigh's ears were fine. Blog post to follow shortly.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Great job, Peter and thanks for letting me know. It is nice to know someone is actually using the weekly tasks! :) There may be others but I have no way to know.

I do this task every time I am with the horses. It is a good starter and, helps me gauge which side of the corral the horse woke up on!

-Michelle/arabhorselover1

Lisa said...

I used to wonder why on some days Cricket couldn't get enough teat scratching and other days it was a serious no-no. Part of it has to do with where she is in her heat cylce - sometimes it's just too tender. But then a line out of my Horsenality Report struck a chord - nobody touches the alpha mare in her delicate places. Hmm, how interesting.

Sometimes Friendly isn't about desensitizing a horse but rather earning the right to touch them. Something to consider . . .

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Excellent points as usual, Lisa. Thanks a million for posting! :)