About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Thursday, May 06, 2010

Parelli and the Derby Winner, Super Saver!

I just learned via Facebook, that this year's Kentucky Derby Winner, Super Saver, is owned by Win Star Farms who happen to be fellow Savvy Club Members! It seems to me that this is a wonderful step in the right direction to show the world that horses exposed to Parelli are not just horses owned by middle-aged women who have them in their backyards (you know you've all heard that one) but so-called "Parelli" horses are also horses who can compete in all kinds of equestrian sports and win! The paradigm shift in the competition world, embracing PNH, is happening , one horse at a time, and not a minute too soon. This race was a win for Super Saver and a win for Parelli Natural Horsemanship...how interesting and exciting! (Some people believe this horse should be renamed, "Super Savvy Saver" and I agree!) So, no matter what you do with your horses, whether you are a backyard horse owner or a Rolex competetor, keep it natural, be savvy, have dignity and integrity, maintain your horse's dignity, be creative, and make sure it is fun for both of you!

Don't forget... this year's Kentucky Derby was the, "most watched in 21 years" according to TVB with NBC logging an estimated 16.5 million viewers..."Jockey Calvin Borel brought three-year-old Super Saver through a rain-soaked sloppy track to win the 136th Kentucky Derby by two-and-a-half lengths"...amazing.

If you are interested in watching the race, CLICK HERE.

If you are interested in Pat Parelli's message about Super Saver, CLICK HERE.

Image from:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2010-05/53578012.jpg

4 comments:

letsbfrank said...

I am actually embarrassed to be a Parelli student when everyone thinks that is what we do with our horses. There was NO love, language or leadership in that ride!!! Where was the release as the horse was already at at an all out sprint.
I've seen Walter and Linda and that is what performance is supposed to look like and NOT what the Oconnor's or this person claim to do. I think that Pat has finally sold his soul for the almighty dollar if he is honestly interested in being associated with that group of horsemen.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

I appreciate your candor and opinion and have thus approved the comment post. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and post here. The fact that we can have this kind of dialogue is very important and something that was not as accessible years ago. It seems that because of the Internet, the "horse world" has become more intimate and intermingle(which is a great thing).

I believe that PNH in the sporting world is not going to be a quick fix for many of the issues we see in competition but, the infiltration of PNH (or change towards PNH) into these sports is important and happening. It will take one step at a time and many years to change many minds and behaviors. I would hope and do think (although have no evidence) that if these folks are PNHrs that many aspects of the horse's life is surrounded by the principles of PNH (100% would be asesome of course). It may not be perfect but, the fact that PNH is in this race barn which to me, is one step in the right direction and something that is not the norm.


Sincerely,
Michelle/arabhorselover1

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

It's a very good step forward to see PNH or other NH slowly entering the minds of more and more horsemen specially in this kind of events. I agree in the fact that it's not always gonna be perfect and natural at once.
Reading however "three year old Super Saver" worries me more. A horse that age shouldn't be riden at all in my opinion.

Anyway,Like your site! Positive and inspiring.

Piet

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Piet--Hello and thanks for reading! I agree, riding a three year old? Not something I do either. -M