About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Monday, April 12, 2010

Three horses, a little communication, and a lot of fun!


Image from: http://www.mchumor.com/00images/8139_horse_cartoon.gif

Tonight I had a blast with the horses! Coming home from a long, busy day, and the sun going quickly down, I was very tired but, I didn't want to miss out on playing with the horses. Therefore, I decided a little liberty fun was in order! I stuffed my pockets with a few goodies and headed out to see them. As each horse came to me, I'd ask them to perform a task, once they succeeded (or tried really hard), I'd give them a little treat. We played all around using the patterns and obstacles, creating puzzles along the way. You could see that each horse was thinking and thinking hard to figure it out. Sometimes they would even line up side-by-side waiting their turn! Lola got to the point where she figured if she circled me at close range, she'd be rewarded and the others perhaps would have to stay away! What a character. The horses moved sideways, forwards and backwards, over logs, figure eights, circles, etc. It was great fun playing with my three all together tonight. I find that the more experiences we have together, the more fun everything becomes. This all makes me think hard about our relationship and how far we've come over time, how we all depend on each other, and how important clearly communicating is!

Communication...the seven games are our alphabet, our creativity and execution make the dialogue!

3 comments:

Naturally Gaited said...

You know, I've never been brave enough to play with all three of "mine" at the same time (unless you count feeding time). I'm not sure that I'd even know where to start!

I'll have to give it a try. It makes total sense that it would be important to the overall herd dynamics, and that it would make it clear that you are the Alpha Mare over ALL of them! (:-)

Lisa R said...

wow that sounds like a lot of fun!

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Clare--You have to really be aware of your personal space and where your horses are at all times to be safe. At this session, I didn't have a carrot stick or anything but sometimes I do.

Lisa--It was a great deal of fun!