About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Horse Hair Everywhere!

Image from:http://danasdoodles.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/671.png?w=300&h=293

After work last night, and since it wasn't raining anymore, I decided to spend some time with the horses. I thought about practicing emergency dismounts as something good to spend time on. However, when I got to the barn, oh my goodness, my horses needed my attention, in the grooming area! They are shedding terribly now and I needed to do something about it. it seems that their coats changed over night!

So, I proceeded to groom Lola first. She truly enjoyed all of the scratches I think. She really loves her ears to be rubbed too. I found that her areas of concern are her udders and between her legs in the back. I can lift her tail and she is relaxed in that way but, I think she is sensitive because she leaks when in heat and is considered, according to my veterinarian, a "dirty mare" 9I don't like that description at all--poor girl). I do use baby oil gel on these sensitive areas and she seems happy with that, the dirty stuff slides off on its own and I don't cause irritations. I started doing this when I first got her. Initially she was defensive but now, not so much but, I'd like to see her less concerned though as I am always on my guard when touching these regions. Anyhow, I continued to brush her, thoroughly clean her feet, and even found a couple of ticks under her chin! EWWW, I hate ticks. I sprayed her with fly spray (that I believe also does ticks and other critters), and she was fine with it (our first time with this). I will be getting Equispot for everyone though! And, Lola needs her own fly sheet with neck attachment, fly mask, and leg protectors...we are in black fly country and they are here (amongst other insects)! I plan to place my order this weekend--I love horse shopping.

After Lola was finished, I groomed Fosse and Whiskey. Fosse was really next but, Whiskey wouldn't stay away and for good reason, he was a mess! However, Fosse was first so I concentrated primarily on him but brushed Whiskey a little so that he felt welcomed. Fosse was not too bad, just tons and tons of shedding hair. I brushed him all over several times with several brushes, cleaned out his feet, and sprayed him with the fly spray. I'd like to note that I did this at liberty. In the past, Fosse was a total freak about spray but now, no worries, and an easy application process (thanks to PNH).

Fosse hung out while I started on Whiskey. He had what my friend calls, "fairy knots" in part of his mane as well as shedding. These mysterious, terrible, knots show up over night, usually when it is wet out, and they are a pain to remove---especially on an Arabian with a long mane---no one else gets them by the way, just Whiskey. I braided that part of his mane, loosely, it should help keep the knots away and straighten his hair back out. I groomed and groomed him but was careful to be kind to his mane--it is gorgeous actually. Whiskey also was sprayed, he has no problems with that at all (smart horse).

Lola came back to us while I was busy with the boys. So, I ended up in major close quarters with the three horses, grooming all of them some more, scratching this and that, and we had a simply wonderful time (about two hours worth of friendly game).

As the sun disappeared, I packed up my grooming tools and fed the horses. I headed back to the house thinking that horses are truly way more than riding. Remember, each time you are with your horse, you make an impact. Make it a fun and wonderful one!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Nothing is more fun than a mouthful of horse hair! Cricket is finally blowing her winter coat and I need to spend some time and elbow grease to get her shed out.

Have you seen the Furminator tools? They make a big one for horses and it's wonderful. Pulls the loose hair with little or no effort. Doesn't damage the good hair, either.

Have you tried Cowboy Magic (or similar product) for the "fairy knots"? Cricket's mane and tail both get "ropey" - like Jamaican dread locks - and she's prone to fairy knots. I just massage in a liberal amount of Cowboy Magic, go on to groom her and after a few minutes I can easily separate the knots with little breakage to her mane.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

I've seen the furminator but thought those were just for cats and dogs...interesting.

I have used the Cowboy magic products and also Eqyss products and love them (just didn't have any available). In the winter I do use the baby oil gel because it won't freeze. I don't remember him having this problem in Virginia...must be something in NY LMAO!

Here's to keeping horse hair out of our mouths! YUCK. :)

-Michelle

Lisa said...

I bought an equine furminator on eBay for about $25 and it's wonderful. Just a little each time I groom helps get the loose hair out. Of course nothing works like a good deep curry but this helps me stay on top of it.

Have you ever had an issue with the baby oil clogging the pores? I used baby oil mixed with iodine for Moose's rain rot and had to be careful it didn't bother his skin.

Cricket gets a bit dirty when she's in heat but a soft curry and some spray on spot remover (again, Cowboy Magic) seem to clean her up. She's only scalded once and some good diaper cream healed that right up.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

The baby oil gel I've used has been in areas where grooming would hurt the horse to try to get whatever was stuck. I apply it once and in a day or so, the gel and the yuck are gone. I've never had clogged pores or anything like that happen. It was the only way to kindly help the horse remove something icky. I've also used the gel or just a very tiny amount of baby ooil on the mane in the winter and sparingly with no problems. As for rain rot, we had that in Virginia but never here in New York--not sure why. Anyhow, Eqyss Micro-Tek works the best! Here is the link:

http://www.eqyss.com/equine_microtek_medicated_gel.asp

Lisa said...

That's good to know about the baby oil gel. Cricket hardly ever gets rain rot - I attribute that to her healthy immune system! Another great product is T-Zon Cream from Healing Tree. Works for so many different things. I have some of the Micro-Tek stuff but have hardly used it. I like the Eqyss products a lot.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

I love the Microtek and use it anytime one of them gets scratched or cut, etc. Good stuff.