About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, February 21, 2010

What's Up and Plans

video

Good afternoon everyone! The video is just a little hello from the herd! (Fosse is on the left, Whiskey in the middle, and Lola on the right.) I know, it has been a long time since I've posted regularly (besides the weekly challenges--I hope you like them). My apologies but, there has not been too much to report. The weather is getting a bit better here and cabin fever is setting in. I've been working on little things with the horses at liberty, every time I see them, but really have not had any plans or purpose behind our interactions. Just the everyday stuff. Lola and I are bonding more and more every day. I cannot wait to play with her more consistently and ride! (Don't worry, posts will start coming in with video and photos as the weather gets better and we start playing!)

I have been reviewing the new Parelli Levels 1-4, the NEC Celebration, and Getting Started DVDs. I really like all of them but do wish they had released them with supplementary educational materials. I liked the pocket guides and books as well as other supplementals that came with previous iterations of the levels. Having a collection that includes really vintage Parelli, the definition of what it means to be "in Levels 1, 2, 3, 4, etc." has really changed. It seems that the program has been simplified (I'm not sure how I feel about that). What I do know is that I am psyched to get moving on my assessment journey and feeling like my new partner Lola is going to truly work out well! Here is a funny one... Lola was chasing us in the Blazer the other day...very cute--she did it today too! The boys do it but this was her first time that I know of and she was alone, not worried about them but wanting to be with me! LOL She is going to be fun, fun, fun!

Some plans I have for this year are:

  • Purchase a new, Wintec-wide saddle with CAIR panels. (Getting this from Lola's previous owner.)
  • Remove toppled trees in the playground and cut them up for firewood.
  • Complete the permanent fencing in the playground.
  • Add/build obstacles to/for the playground.
  • Develop outdoor arena (the one with the plus sign and grass squares you've seen Pat use in videos).
  • Purchase metal round corral (would like 70feet, not sure it will fit in our round pen area yet).
  • Develop footing in round pen area.
  • Complete permanent fencing in the big field.
  • Build small horse barn.
  • Continue plans for the purchase of a Cover-All arena. (The Parelli-Logo one.)
  • Begin redeveloping trail system on our property.
  • Create a farm sign.
  • Plant trees to seclude front-end of property and make is more like the rest of the property which is surrounded by woods.
  • Take Lola to a clinic as well as do official video assessments.

My journey to healthier living and weight loss is going very well. However, I over-did it in the exercise department! The doctor said that I sprained my back and should be fine but it could take up to 6 weeks to feel 100%. Basically, overstretched a ligament that is affecting my sciatic nerve at times on my left side. I am taking Aleve and Soma (Carisoprodol) at night, heat treatments, and sleeping on my stomach most of the time, it all seems to be helping. I took a few days off from work so I didn't have to deal with it at work sitting in my office chair. I am allowed to go back to the gym but to do more stretching things and the eliptical is ok too. I am going back to work tomorrow. (I had to put hay up today because Rick was working and wow, I am sore--probably shouldn't have done it but we were out of hay! At least it was only a truck load (44 bales). That's just life...I think I'll go have a Pilsner Urquell, sit on the couch with the dogs (accompanied by my heating pad and heated blanket) to relax--maybe a hot shower to losen up the muscles too? Ouch! LOL)

Here is a video of Rick hard at work snow plowing the state roads for the town (here he is cruising past our place).

video

Well, I guess that is it for now. I hope you are all doing well and are keeping it natural! Have fun with your horses, try out the weekly tasks, and please do keep in touch!

6 comments:

My Blessings said...

Sounds like you've got quite a busy year ahead of you. If you want help with your horse stalls, take a look at www.woodstarproducts.com for some great options.

Sorry to hear of your "over exercising problems". How is your weight loss going? I've been trying with NutraSystem and it's going slow but steady so I have no complaints. I do Pilates for exercise, what are you doing?

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

I do have a great deal on the list that is certain...but one can dream! :)

The weight loss is going great. I started Weight Watchers on Jan 9th, 2010 and have lost 17 pounds so far. What I love about it is that I love to cook and now, just am more careful about healthy guidelines. My husband and I menu plan weekly trying new recipes every day and it is fun and delicious. We are never bored and truly are enjoying this new lifestyle.

On Feb 7th, 2010 I blogged a post about my journey and reaching my 5% target as well as some of the things I am doing, check it out at:
http://naturalhorselover.blogspot.com/2010/02/celebratingi-reached-my-5-weight-loss.html

For exercise, I am working out at the gym 5 days a week 30-45 min cardio and then I try to fit in the weight machines a few times a week. At home on weekends, I try to exercise using Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVDs and the Saddle-up Training DVD. My friend bought me Janice Dulak's DVD, Pilates for the Dressage Rider but I have not done it yet.

Thansk for the link and best wishes on your weight loss journey! We can do it!

-Michelle/arabhorselover1

Naturally Gaited said...

I love the videos! Feels like I'm there visiting. :-)

Lola looks as though she is fitting right in - including perhaps herding Whiskey a bit?

It is wonderful that Rick loves his job so much. I've heard that you guys are do for some more snow this week..

Love ya!

Clare

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Clare--

Lola is fitting right in. She does herd Whiskey a bit but that is no surprised. If you recall, a chicken even kicked him away from food once (or twice)!!! Not to mention the goats and cat that used to boss him around in Virgina. He is LOW on the totem pole (which is why he works well in a small herd I think). That said, Lola is also very independent and will leave the boys doing her own thing too. I am thinking that this is a good thing. It should help with our relationship and bonding.

Rick enjoys plowing and is working today. The shifts are very long though (usually 12 hours) so it makes for a long time circling the block!! LOL

We are getting snow tonight and they have warnings all over the Internet, radio,and TV. I guess blankies will go back on. I am probably leaving early so it should not be a problem for me to get home.

I was told this morning when talking to a Canadian colleague that Nova Scotia and that region has snow but milder temperatures and is quite beautiful. Perhaps my thougth of living in Canada aren't extinguished! LOL

Talk to you soon. HUGS.


-Michelle/arabhorselover1

Karen said...

I love your blog! I keep saying that, don't I? Your list is my list as well ... just not quite as confident that I can get it all done in a year!
Also in your last comment... you say you're thinking of living in Canada? Please come live in Alberta! that would make it easier for me to meet you! LOL.

One of my mares (Saphira) now has rain scald. Poor girl. I can't figure out how she got it considering we haven't had rain for about 6 months. Not even snow for that matter.... the vet figures it's been the humidity. Anyway, she's got two huge bald spots on her back that I'm treating. I feel bad for her and worry she'll get frost-bite if it gets cold. Vet says it's better if she doesn't have a blanket... but I think I'll put it on anyway if it gets colder than -20C. The rest are all doing great this winter -- and my mare that's pregnant looks the best she's ever looked in winter.
Thanks for your blog Michelle, it's inspiring!
Karen

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Hi Karen---Great to see you are still reading! I am so happy that you enjoy my writing. Alberta??? Hmmm tell me more! LOL I love Canada, I have enjoyed everyone we've ever met there, the landscapes are gorgeous, and Rick has family from Longbeach on Lake Erie. :)

Thanks for reading, Karen, do keep in touch! We definitely have to meet!

-M