About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fun here in horseland!


Well yesterday was a beautiful day. Rick spent most of it plowing snow, slush, and horse poop (he scraped the paddock) and I cleaned the barn. Things are looking a bit grose around here...you know, the dirty winter snow season, ick! There is also a considerable amount of ice around so we all have to be careful where we walk and forget about any notions of ground play or riding without risk. The horses had some fun chasing him on the 4 wheeler and following me around regardlesss though, they seem to know where the safer areas are. I also spent some time grooming the horses (Whiskey constantly gets his mane tangled up and it seems to spiral together--anyone know how to keep it from doing this?) and trimming Lola's hooves. (With my back still a bit sore, I couldn't do all three horses' hooves.)

Anyhow, Lola is so funny! When I was grooming Whiskey, she showed up and butted right in, pushing him out of the way and looking at me curiously. When I would brush Fosse and Whiskey, she'd shove right in and ask for a scratch or a brushing too, looking at me with those sweet eyes (even though she was also thoroughly groomed). If you haven't figured it out already, we were all together, no halters, just the truth! And the truth is, they wouldn't leave my side. :)

Fosse was hanging around too but moreso enjoying hanging out and sunning himself. Then, when I was trimming Lola's hooves she spent her time doing one of three things: standing still allowing me to work, backing up and looking at me like "what are you going to do about it", or standing still, letting me trim but licking my back and playing with my sweatshirt. LOL I told you, she is a character! I still have to have the horsenality profile done and have decided to use it on Lola but not until summer. I contacted Parelli and they agreed that I should wait until I get to really play with her more.

Today it is much colder than yesterday (or perhaps just feels that way). It is fairly icy out (although I did take Morgan for a walk this morning after my workout). The horses are happily eating and chilling out and Rick and I are in the house, enjoying old black and white movies. Have a great weekend everyone. Until next time...

4 comments:

inchwormwv said...

Hey Michelle,

Augie's mane is very long - hangs below the bottom of his neck - and when he rubs his neck on a tree it looks like someone started a complex braid. Perhaps this is what Whiskey does. The only remedy I know would be to braid his mane is several large, loose braids?

Sound like a very rewarding day! Tenley

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Hi Tenley,

That does sound liek hte same issue. I may try the braids and see if that helps. I just worried that the braids would break his mane but then again, he is not doing it and favors either!

-M

Tina said...

I don't know about preventing the tangles (we call them "fairy braids") but WD40 works great at getting them out!

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

I've used baby-oil gel in the winter and it helps and does get them out. I braided that section as Tenley suggested and I think it has helped a bit. I love it, "fairy braids."

-M