About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Monday, December 07, 2009

Liberty with Lola

lib·er·ty ˈlɪbə(r)ti n. pl. lib·er·ties
1. The condition of being free from restriction or control.
2. The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing.
3. The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor.
4. A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or interference
5. Liberty - Your horse is free of any restraint, where the truth is evident

Good morning, it is cold and snowy here today. I've been trying to get in horse time but it has been limited. However, I've been falling into love with Lola more and more each time we interact. Over the weekend, I bought her a red, satin, Christmas stocking with glitter and designs all over it. I then sewed some dangly beads and wrote her name on it with red glitter glue. This stocking and all the others are hanging in the house, off of the loft, and look great.

After cleaning the barn yesterday, I decided to get in some horse time and went out in the paddock with Fosse, Whiskey, and Lola. Whiskey was quite interesting, acted a bit shy, and so I played undemanding time with him. Fosse was playing hard to get and I believe wanted me to chase him around the field. I was not about to, it was cold, and so he played with me a bit, to and fro, it was goofy and fun. We were not totally connected and I think some of it had to do with Lola, who would not leave my side.

Lola was so much fun yesterday. We truly played at liberty and were connecting on a new level. We played stick-to-me, the figure eight pattern, walk over the log, squeeze between the trees, and close-range circling. I had a great deal of fun with her and really felt like progress in our relationship had been made. She was looking to me for guidance and was willing to partake. There were a few times she thought about leaving but changed her mind. The most difficult task was walking over the log for some unknown reason. She did it a few times at liberty, avoided it several times, and did it when I put the savvy string around her neck. The fact that she was doing figure eight (drag and draw) so well was really fantastic. We used barrels fro this activity. Finally, circling was interesting. She'd do it close range but not long range, not yet anyway. I supposed I also should mention that we played the basic 7 games too throughout hte session (which makes total sense if you are studying Parelli). I've found that when she is unsure, she crowds me, something I'd not experienced before, not like this as she reminds me of when my Great Dane gets worried, she crawls on my lap. So, I use friendly game, then porcupine and driving to ask her to respect my space. She is quite the love-bug of a horse!

Anyhow, just a quick post this morning. They all seemed to enjoy out time together and the peppermints in my pocket became quite a hit!

I am really looking forward to purchasing the new levels information (I am also getting the new Getting Started DVD and the NEC Celebration DVD). It should be fun and interesting educational information to watch, learn, and apply!

4 comments:

Naturally Gaited said...

Well, now that Lola has her own stocking I know that she has become part of the family. ;-)

I'm so happy to hear that you are having FUN with her!

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

She is really becoming a partner, is taking my leadership in stride, and is very responsive. Feeding/grooming time in the barn with the other horses is no longer choas and dangerous. It is pleasant, she is respectful, as are the other horses. It is a delight to have her in our family. (Now if I can find the time and good weather to ride her! LOL)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and find lots of useful informtion. However, I find you music overlays incredibly irritating. Not everyone, even horse soul-mates, share your musical tastes. I strongly urge you to dispense with that affectation.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Dear Anonymous,

I thank you for reading and glad you enjoy the blog. My apologies for your distaste with the music overlays, I'd had an out-pouring of appreciation for the music from my readers and do not plan to dispense with it. You can turn off the music simply by hitting the pause on the imbedded radio or please consider just turning your sound down when visiting if it irritates you so much. (By the way, I have even more musical likes that are not reflected here so my musical likes are even more expansive than this. I like all music actually but chose most of theres as songs people could translate into love songs to their horses or fun songs to their horses.) Anyhow, sorry you are displeased but know that you are the first to voice a problem with it.

-Michelle