About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Setting a goal to finish up the year


I recently joined an on-line Parelli focus group called, "savvypppp · Positive, Progressive, Parelli Peers." The objective is to share goals and actively participate, helping others move forward on their journeys. I want to start by saying thank you to Heather from Canada for starting this group. As I believe you all know, I run a local play group (NCPPG) but am the only one truly studying Parelli with a goal of assessment in mind, and therefore feel quite lonely on my journey. This new opportunity seems like the next best thing to being with others in a local setting. It has accountability, reporting, and goal setting (things I typically do well with).

My official assessment journey has been with several horses (although I've played and redeveloped countless rescue horses, friend's horses, and of course my own - all to various degrees in many savvys and at several levels-unofficially). Anyhow, a little recap for those new to my blog (but do search and read the archives), I passed Level one under the previous iteration of the program with Wilbur my TB (whom I no longer have - he was retired and sent to a lush farm in VA), I had a gap in assessment because of re-homing Wilbur and then relocating to New York. I passed officially passed Level 2 online this summer (not the best audition but I passed) with my Arabian Whiskey but have come to the realization, especially since the St. Jude's event, that he is mentally incapable, at this time, of handling some of the pressure related to official assessment and the journey to level 4 (and beyond), and my other Arabian, Fosse (who has health considerations) is also inappropriate because he will have physical limitations at the higher levels. Therefore, my new horse Lola (QH) was acquired as my new, viable, levels partner, a horse that should potentially go places. She is a great prospect for this journey. To be completely honest, I am tired of being in Level 1/2 limbo (officially) as I do play in the higher levels in some of the savvys, my desire is to officially be assessed and start having fun doing more advanced maneuvers in all the savvys (and even go to the ISC some day).

So, my goal, from now until the end of the year (as per the new group's assignment to have a goal) is to complete and officially assess Level 2 freestyle with her. It is going to be a challenge because I do not have an indoor arena and the weather is a challenge here. However, I have successfully rented the use of a local indoor arena on Sundays for two hours each time (starting next weekend) and believe I can expand on that. My goal is quite ambitious and perhaps unrealistic but, a start. I acknowledge that I may have to adjust my expectations, especially because she is green, new to me, and we will be playing at a strange barn. I'd say minimum, I'd like to be at least riding her regularly at WTC by the end of the year, maximum I'd like to complete all of level 2, officially with her.

Thoughts? I am always open to input. :) Keep it savvy!

9 comments:

regina said...

Maybe you and Lola could practice doing friendly game with a tent, and then you could put it over you when you ride, and make a portable covered arena ... oh, wait ... LOL

:0

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Marion Princic said...

That group sounds very intressting and I think it´s important to have goals and kind of a timeline. Otherwise it´s easy to get stuck in level 1/2 limbo as you say.
I´m also trying to get my level 2 done before the end of the year. But we will see. I officialy assessed my level 1 in august.
Sometimes I´m just worried of being too much a direct line thinker sometimes. Well good luck. Love reading your blog btw. xox

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Hi Marion--I think the assessment part sets me up for direct-line thinking and I have to be extraordinarily careful with that. Best wishes on successful Level 2 completion for you too!

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Regina...this is a wonderful idea. You know, I could buy Lola and I each umbrella hats! (Funny thing is, I think she'd put up with it!) --M

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Regina...this is a wonderful idea. You know, I could buy Lola and I each umbrella hats! (Funny thing is, I think she'd put up with it!) --M

Lisa said...

This is why I started my "30 in 30" program - to get myself out to the barn, doing something with my horse. Even if it's only 10 minutes a day, at least it's something positive and progressive. I'm tired of being stuck in this place where I don't canter my horse. Glad to see you back - you've been gone for awhile.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Hi Lisa--I have been away. Between the inclement weather and virtually no horse time, to my dogs getting in quarrels and ending up at the vets, and then a brief trip downstate, I've been out of touch. Glad you missed me! I checked out the arena yesterday and am looking forward to going over there on Sunday for some sustained horse time.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Oh, not to mention being swamped with work at the University! LOL

Lisa said...

I hope the arena works out for you. I have *no* excuses not to be doing something with my horse - my boarding barn has a covered (with weather protection on 3 sides) 60x120 arena. Good to hear things are settling down for you.