About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fun Horsey Weekend

Image from the Eastern Ontario Naturalhorsemanship Club Meet Up Group
http://www.meetup.com/Eastern-Ontario-Natural-Horsemanship/
Wow, the last three days have been full of horsey fun! I have not had this much horse-related activity in a long time.
It started Friday when I attended my first play date with the Eastern Ontario Natural Horsemanship Club The event was held at Drogheda Manor in Lunenburg, Ontario. I didn't haul any of my horses to the play date but did get to meet about a dozen people in the group and play with one of the host's horses. It was so refreshing to be in a Parelli-friendly barn with like-minded people who speak the same language, the language of the horse.
On Saturday, Rick and I drove to Rigaud, Quebec for another Eastern Ontario Natural Horsemanship Club event, a hoof and nutrition seminar at Punkin' Patch Farms hosted by the Rigaud Play Group. Sylvia Kornherr came and spoke about nutrition, natural trimming, and hoof health. There were about eight people at this event (all different from the previous day's play date).
And last but not least, today I had some play time with the horses (after the barn and garden chores). I played with Lola in the play ground and worked on standing still at the mounted block. She will come up okay but wants to step off. So, we just worked on stand still, I'd lay over her back, and then ask for a flex. We did this several times. She is really funny and would almost crowd me but out her head up for me to hold and scratch (reminds me of my Great Dane, Morgan). I didn't ride her (or the other two) becuase the ground is satirated and I'd hate any of us to be injured by a slip and/or fall. We also went for a visit to the horse trailer. Rather than we direct-line and just ask her to load, I stopped at the tack compartment and put on the 22 foot line. Then I walked to the back of the trailer to unlock it but let the line out and left her. She walked to me on her own. She started looking in the trailer and so, I got in a very relaxed, neutral position and just waited. I did nothing for a few minutes. Then, I stepped up on the back of the trailer and asked her in, She loaded right away and I gave her a peppermint candy as a treat. She was calm and happy in the trailer. We played yo-yo game in the trailer and eventually in and out of the trailer. No opposition reflex this time, just good fun. I think that I've broken through the leadership barrier with her and we are working more as partners (I've noticed this in the barn and our interactions there too). This is all good news. I also played with Fosse and Whiskey and took each to the trailer. They both loaded like seasoned horses. Fosse practically jumped in and I was not on the back-end of the trailer either (wow has he come a long way).
This week, we are heading to another lecture on Wednesday night in Monkland, Ontario. The topic is feeding and competing in the horse industry and features the following speakers: 1. Katy Gemmell, Purina Equine Nutrition Consultant, 2. Dr. Ingrid Bill, Maxville Veterinary Clinic and 3. Leslei Andrychuk and John Kersley, Competing in the horse Industry. John was once ranked as high a 7 among Canadian Grand Prix Jumping Competitors. He is still a well respected competitor and coach at that level as is Leslei.

I am so pleased to have joined this new group. I feel free to just have fun and learn more! No drama, no frustration with people, just good, plain horse fun.

4 comments:

Naturally Gaited said...

It is cool that you are willing to go so far as to visit another country to get your PNH fix! ;-)

When I visit next, you'll have to take me to Canada with you to meet everyone!!

Clare

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Hey, it's pure dedication at its finest! You will need to get your passport next time you come. This is the only way to cross the border (or enhanced driver's license--not sure they have them in Virginia). Passport is better anyway.

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Hey, it's pure dedication at its finest! You will need to get your passport next time you come. This is the only way to cross the border (or enhanced driver's license--not sure they have them in Virginia). Passport is better anyway.

inchwormwv said...

Sounds great Michelle!