About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Got Dumped - LOL

Today, I rode in the Marathon Endurance saddle my friend Clare sent me. I think I need to shim the front because it tips me forward too much. So soon after we headed to the field, Whiskey spooked sideways and downward, fast-- I got dumped. I am fine though, just a little rope burn on my fingers from trying to hang onto the reins. He went away from me, not too far, and then turned, faced, and I signaled for him to come, he did rather than running to Fosse at the barn- a good thing I think. I remounted and did approach and retreat and let him graze. I think we are doing ok but it would be nice to just go do WTC and trail without all the work! But, I am committed (or should be lol) and won't give up. St Judes ride is this weekend, I will try to ride but will hand walk if necessary--I don't think it will be though but I'd rather have a plan in my mind instead of feeling disappointed if something goes differntly than I'd prefer. LOL

Does anyone know how to stay on during a surprise sideways, downward spook? Or even just a fast sideways spook? My horse was there and then, he wasn't! LOL (This happened to me once before, a firrerent horse, bareback, in a field. Turkeys flew out in his face. He went one way and I went down--darn I hate gravity sometimes! LMAO

2 comments:

Lisa said...

The best thing is to have a relaxed and balanced seat that just follows your horse's movement. Cricket has a couple different spooks and lately it's been a "drop and sideways." The more relaxed I am, the easier it is to drop with her and let her carry me sideways. Since there's no real bolt in her, it turns out okay. It's when she lunges forward a few steps that I lose my connection.

A good saddle, a relaxed seat and connection with the horse are the best tools I know for riding a spook.

Lisa
Violating Parelli Principle #7 - my horsemanship blog

Michelle AKA arabhorselover1 said...

Hi Lisa--Thanks for your feedback. I really should have dismounted and fixed the saddle from tipping me forward--oh duh. LOL