About Me

My Photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Reiki Master/Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Click Image and go to Natural Horse Lover Farm's Website

Click Image and go to Natural Horse Lover Farm's Website
CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE BY CLICKING THE HORSES http://naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Rebuilding Relationships - A Good Horse Day

The photos are of the horses yesterday. I did not have my camera when they were in the big field today or while we were playing in the mud and water.

I wanted to take a moment to write an update on today's horse adventures. Truly nothing spectacular to most of you but for me, and them, it was a wonderful day.


This morning, Rick and I went out to the barn to clean up. I turned the horses out on the big field for the first time since the early part of the winter. The beauty of this field is that it is actually dry! It is sandy and drains well. Anyhow, wow, they were galloping like thunder, you could hear their hooves beat on the ground, heads high, kicking, bucking, rearing, snorting, having a wonderful time, like an explosion of joy, I have not seen this is awhile. It is not to say that they don't run around in their turnout, they do, but this was different, this was exhilarating. Then, they rolled, and rolled, and rolled some more. After they were done, I decided to leave them out for a few hours so I went to the barn, got their grain, hay, and water, fed them. While they were eating, I went back to do chores with Rick.

Rick and I cleaned out the barn. Two people taking care of things makes the work fairly easy. The mud is everywhere and the turnout is yucky--ah the joys of winter turning into mud season. We have a lot of work to do--I think I need gravel, everywhere! Anyhow, we got the job done and felt very happy about it.

I am looking forward to the video get-together tomorrow night. I have yet to review the Parelli Patterns so this will be new for all of us. I worked on the Parelli-New Yorkers member map today too. Anyhow, OK, back to the horses, I went back out after a much needed nap and decided rather than lead them together, I'd take them separately working on not only herd-bound tendencies but, partnering with them on an individual basis. Since the pathway from the big field to the barn is muddy full of puddles and goo, I decided that today was a perfect day to work on water obstacles. Isn't' it funny how horses will walk through water on their own but if you ask, sometimes their answer is no? How interesting.

Fosse was first because when I arrived at the field, he came to me first. His flexion when I put on his halter, was tight, but he finally relaxed a little. We walked towards the barn playing with all of the fun mud and water obstacles. At first, he was barely paying any attention to me and was trying to walk all over me. I felt a bit clumsy with my tools (I felt surprised and embarrassed with myself - these tools used to feel second nature.) He was a bit hesitant but, eventually walked calmly and started paying better attention - I was also using the tools properly and communicating with him better. Once I felt he was okay about the water, and he walked through a good puddle calmly, I took him back to the barn (stopped while we were ahead). There was plenty more water and mud on our way and overall, he did well. When I removed his halter, he was more relaxed than before, success for today I believe. It was like trying to get to know my best friend all over again. Fosse was not looking for Whiskey at all but was testing our relationship and my leadership.

To my surprise, Whiskey was not acting herd-bound while Fosse and I were away. He called only one time, no running around like a lunatic, no right-brained behavior was evident. He probably could sort-of see us because there are no leaves on the trees but, he was clearly left alone for sometime and was okay with it. When I went back to the field for Whiskey, he was waiting at the gate, patiently. I haltered him, he was fairly relaxed but not totally, he did one of his gulping noises but quickly decided all was okay. (The gulping thing is something he does when he is feeling insecure.) I walked him towards the barn, and he was eager to try the water obstacles and walk through the mud without giving me the impression of him feeling nervous. I was now using my tools properly and with ease too. This was new for us as truly, neither horse has been too eager to go through water obstacles (and I have never put enough time into it to help them find success). OK, so every water obstacles we encountered, he walked right through, he looked at me, I asked for him to go through, and he did it! We mosied around the barn and surrounding area, spending time together, and it was fun, really fun. He was with me and not looking for Fosse. How refreshing. After I felt like we had many successes, I decided to take him back to the barn. I fed the horses and left for the evening. (And yes, they got some candy canes as treats. LOL)

I did not trim hooves today as planned but, I decided to take a half day off from work tomorrow. I have been working too much and want some more horse time. I am going to trim hooves and groom them tomorrow before my horse friends come over to watch videos. I am feeling happy about the horses, myself, and the future. Thanks for reading my posts--now go visit your horses!

No comments: