About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Whoa Nelly

Parelli Horsenality Horses! http://www.parelli.com/
Today, I played with the horses and I must report that their horsenalities were extreme and all over the chart. If you believe that play time and consistency is not important, think again! I have been totally negligent in play time for weeks (working like crazy--yeah work does interefere). Anyhow, the horses were not partnering with me, not immediately, and this caused for a great deal of foundational play.

Whiskey and I played with transitions, the games to the extreme, and I also rode him barrel to barrel (treats on the barrels--a Parelli motivator idea) and he moved forward nicely but, was offering to buck. After the treats were gone, I dismounted and played at liberty with him (still saddled) and WOW he BUCKED LIKE MAD! I can read this horse like a book. A few days ago I was doing ground exercises in zone 3 and he was having a very difficult and reactionary time with it--that is when I knew it was not me but zone 3. We have a lot of work to do!

Fosse was spooky and funny acting today. Rick and I were taking measurements to put on a small barn addition and he was hanging out with us. At first he was nervous but by the end, he was playing with us and the tape measure.

One other thing to note, Whiskey was in the round pen and Fosse in the turnout. Fosse exhibiting herd-bound behaviors whereas Whiskey was not. How interesting considering Fosse is the alpha in the herd.

So, short but sweet. I plan to continue regular play time again so I should be blogging more often again.

No comments: