About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Monday, October 01, 2007

Whiskey, Issues, the Vet, Etc.

Whiskey went alone with us to camp this past weekend (Thursday-Sunday). There were good and bad times--some very good (two walks a day on the 22 foot, destination was up to him--went well, people coming by with horses or horse trailers--he went nuts, on the trail, walking with Smokey there, he was nuts--not typical as he has been able to be ridden wtih him. But the bad were horrific including beating the heck out of the trailer on the way home--it was swaying on the road was just not acceptable.

I called Carol Coppinger last night and she wonders if he has gastric ulcers. She said that the things I am doing with him sounds on track and that horses don't typically blow a gasket like this unless something is really going on.

I spoke to Dr. Lamb today (the vet) and she said maybe ulcers but the cost to even try to medicate is almost $1000 per month!

We have opted to change his diet and work on additional training--still doing PNH. Dr. Lamb agreed and is hopeful that thhings will work out. She said that she understands and is fine with the choice we have made.

Tonight I played with the horses (in the woods and the arena) but paid particular attention to my interactions with Whiskey. I think that I have discovered something. I don't believe that I have been as good of a leader to him as I needed to be. With Fosse, I was always willing to push his buttons and really lead, hard at times. With Whiskey, I think I've let him off the hook when maybe I should not have. I think this is because he can be such a quiet horse, not an in-your-face horse. Anyhow, I am being more persistent and very clear about my expectations with him and, expecting more out of him. The result, I think that we had a little progress tonight, he seemed surprised but, more respectful. More later!

No comments: