About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Whiskey Update -- Progress, I think.

I played with Whiskey again this evening. Last night I took everything back a notch tonight and started with some non-demanding time (I sat in the arena on the ground until he and the others came to see me. I then moved to the games, obstacles, and saddling. I also layed over him from both sides bareback. I believe he expected to have to "endure riding" and opposite of what he was expecting, I did not ride nor attempt to even mount. I noticed a bit of anticipation on his part and wanted him to understand that there is more to our relationship than riding. :) This seemed like a great idea and he seemed to really be happy tonight. He was walking when I walked, stopping when I stopped, etc. He was in-tune with me even though the other horses and goats were lingering around. A good evening all around.

Well tonight, I played with him on the ground first, remembering wisdom of my Parelli network of friends, and put my principles and relationship before my goals. I did not just hop on and try to ride him. Anyhow, on the ground, I asked him to move sideways along the fence, over a pole, over a log, over cones, around a tire, etc. You get the picture. He did very well and some of these obstacles were totally new with this movement. My position was on his side or facing him. I also incorporated the other games. I then mounted bareback with his rope halter (one reined). I leaned over him three times before swinging up (all from the mounting block). Once on, I checked his flex and used a lot of friendly game. I then asked for forward movement, passenger, only at the walk. He was a little resistant (biting at my foot at times) but did move forward without much effort on my part, he just had some small protests. I continued to work on his flexion. and more friendly. Itfelt like we are back to the beginning when I first started riding him. However, rather than totally push the issue, we accomplished mini-goals and I dismounted. I then took him to the turnout for his grain and asked for a side-pass through the gate (sometimes we walk forward and other times, back into the area too).

So, I believe we had a good evening. I would be lying if I said I did not feel some frustration about not being able to ride him like I could my old horse Wilbur--or even like I had in the past few months. I know that riding is not the "end all be all" but, it would be fun! However, in time, I think that will happen. I think that we need to come back together as solid partners and get back to making progress.

I plan to take him back to horse camp Sept 21-23 and Sept 27-30. I am taking him by himself and plan to play on the ground first and then assess if we can do anything else. I plan to be more patient and a true partner paying close attention to his needs. Thanks for listening! I truly appreciate your support, affirmations, and feedback.

No comments: