About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Deprivation Training


Today, I played with each horse on the ground and did a thorough grooming job. Whiskey was in the front turnout and the others all in the arena. I went to get Mini-Me and he started to head away from me. Rather than chase, I totally ignored him and there Fosse was, ready for what ever I had in store. I played with him on the ground, utilizing some new faux-cavaletti I created and he was quite intrigued. We also played with the other item in the arena (jumos, cowboy carwash, tarp, barrels, hoses, cones, etc. Then I groomed him (Mini was watching and ended up moving so close that his head was almost in Fosse's tail. I would touch him as I passed by to continue my groom job but, not give he too much attention at all.

After this, I grazed Fosse in the lawn for a few minutes. Whiskey called to me--we were not our of sight so it wasn't a herd bound thing, he actually was trying to get my attention. Whiskey was next. I ran through the same things as Fosse and there was Mini and the goats, tagging along through it all! The goats, throughout everything were always nearby (Mini too), they worked through the obstacles, and even got a little grooming when I was doing the horses.

Lastly, I played with Mini. Funny how now all of a sudden he was eager to be haltered! We ran through the ostacles and 7 games, he did very well. I am truly encouraged and know that with him, the more aloof I become, the more interested in me he becomes.

How interesting, depriving your horse of attention after he decides to run away from you. Rather than chase, just walk away--all of of sudden you become interesting!

No comments: