About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Fosse's First Ride!

I just had to share, I rode Fosse for the first time this morning!!! Can you tell how excited I am? Unfortunately no one was around to take a photo of me on him. I got Fosse several years ago as a baby who was to be put to death because of a grade 5 heart murmer. The vet had finally cleared him for riding (on flat or easy terrain) late last year but all I have done was sit on him, two or three times last year and play tons of ground games since I got him. She is amazed at how healthy he is and looks (besides the murmer of course).

So, how did we do it? We played on the ground for a bit, working through obstacles, then I saddled him with the Parelli bareback pad using obstacles in between cinching to make it a "saddling with savvy task" (first time he has ever been saddled with anything by the way), once saddled, more obstacle and ground work.

After that, I layed over him twice, then mounted. I sat there, flexing his head to each side several times. I then thought, what the heck, and asked Fosse if he wanted to walk! He stepped around a little, getting his footing, using the Parelli techniques ("My Horse Won't Go"), I asked him for forward movement and got it! We walked around the arena, went over groung poles, and around obstacles. He did great! I look forward to riding him again soon.

I also rode Whiskey today. He did well but was up to some of his usual antics. We had fun regardless but, I warned him that he may have competition now! LOL

No comments: