About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Parelli, Motivation, and Learning


I have been catching up on Savvy Club DVDs today and thinking about our newly formed group. Yes, I have revived the Parelli Play Group. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/parelliplaygroup/ I cannot even begin to tell you all how pleased I am with this.
I was watching the September 2006 DVD this morning, the segment with one of the Level 2 Parelli students, Yvonne and her horse (an Arabian mare named Escada). Her journey has also been featured in the Savvy Times (I am going to have to review the articles.) She really gave me some insight on the idea of not going out with an agenda but just letting things come together with the horse. I tend to be an agenda driven person (if you haven't noticed already), probably part professional hazard (for those of you who don't know me well, I am an academic librarian) and part Sagittarian personality http://www.astrology-online.com/sagittar.htm. Apparently this was something she learned from the Parelli Behavior and Liberty DVD set (something I just cannot afford to buy right now-$649 yikes). However, I am going to take some of the tid-bits from the Savvy Club DVD and apply them with my play time today. I was reluctant to even watch the segment (not being driven by one of the Parellis). I cannot really explain why but perhaps my assumption was that I would not learn from the time spent (26 minute segment). I was wrong. I really gained insight and knowledge by viewing it.

Ok, so how it all went. I was out with the horses twice today. The first time, there was a lot of undemanding time. It was my goal to see what my horses would do and what they would be interested in.

Wilbur saw me and left. Mini-Me ignored me totally. Whiskey and Fosse came to investigate. I did have Fosse putting his front feet in the trailer; I then tried to get him to load with the savvy string only. I think that for today, he was pushed too much. He did come back several times but was not convinced he wanted to stay with me, totally. (Oh, did I mention that there were dog cage panels behind the trailer and he was basically in a 10x10 dog cage with one side swung open? I was shocked that he came in--Whiskey did too, at the same time--no claustrophobia here folks). Whiskey came a few times but really was more interested in what Fosse was up to. When I went to get the halter, Fosse and Whiskey left. I found this all to be interesting and depressing. I question why my horses are not interested in me--could it be today? Could it be because we have done little since November? I am just not sure. Other times, they seem so much more interested in me.

I went back out this evening to feed. They all came running down to their trees to be haltered and fed their grain. So what is this all about? Am I just their waitress? HMMM

After they were finished, I released everyone and took Whiskey with me to the arena. I played with him a little, saddled him with my English saddle and Parelli Natural Hackamore. I then rode him. Overall, I think it was successful on many fronts. He was willing to move forward and we weaved in and out of cones, side-passing, and stopping. This was all at the walk. He also bucked a few times. Rather than bailing out, I worked through this threshold of mine and was fine, I lived, I was ok and so was he. Whiskey is an emotional horse. I am convinced that this behavior was a left-brained temper tantrum. I really thought long and hard about this and he probably wanted to be up with the other horses. I dismounted one time and played on the ground with him again. Remounted, only for a few minutes and then dismounted again. I took his tack off, blanketed him, fed him cookies, and he was reluctant to leave me. Does this mean he really does like to spend time with me? HMMM

Overall, I am really satisfied with our time together. I believe that we are making progress. And no, I did not trot today. Why? Because, I believe that would have pushed the limits a bit too hard today. This is the first real, successful session I have had with him since November and I believe that we made true progress, both of us.
Another thought---I have not done too much with the horses since November (remember I got injured--my fault, and then the winter weather--oye!). This may also have some implications.

No comments: