About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Ah, how sweet it is--to be riding that is!

Well, yesterday afternoon the doctor cleared me to ride (as long as I am careful)! He said that my knee is much better and that a full recovery will come anytime. So, I rode Wilbur last night. I am very happy to be riding again. There is much more to horses than riding but, that is a fun part of it. (I am contemplating riding in the Dublin Christmas parade on Dec 16th.) Last night, after playing on the ground with Wilbur, I was going to try to mount bareback. He is rather tall and it is difficult even when I am at 100%. I got nervous and he was antsy. So, I sat with him for awhile (me on the mounting block and he next to me). Then, I retrieved my saddle (English) and saddled him. He was really good about this as I did not have his halter on or anything. I did put on his halter after I saddled him (in preparation for riding of course). Then, I still felt nervous about mounting. I guess it goes back to getting hurt and the inability to recognize how well you are or something like that. So, I lowered both stirrups, went up and down on the mounting block on both sides several times, petting Wilbur. Well, he actually stood very still and was a complete gentleman. I eventually mounted from the off-side (thank goodness I taught him to do this). He never moved. So, overall, I think the exercise did two things. It gave us both time and confidence to do our part. It gave him time to understand that we can always hurry-up and do nothing and me the confidence that indeed I can get on and have fun after such an incident. We are both terribly out of shape too so, the pressure to perform was something we were thinking about. Anyhow, we worked on walk, trot and posting trot, backing, stopping. It was enjoyable (thank goodness Rick put up those arena lights). I was pleased with the ride and with Wilbur's ability to learn and relax during mounting. Overall, it was a happy day!

2 comments:

PNHxlovexx said...

hello! i just made a blog documenting my parelli progress with my horse. i love your site!

arabhorselover1 said...

Thanks for visiting my site! Good luck with PNH and your horse.