About Me

My photo
North Lawrence, New York, United States
I can be described as lover of life, an animal lover, and lover of education. I am constantly striving for knowledge and learning opportunities. I've been around horses my entire life. I enjoy working with horses and their human partners through natural horsemanship philosophies, natural balance bare foot hoof care, reiki, red-light therapy, essential oils, aromatherapy, crystal healing, chromotherapy, flower essences, and more. I am a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Master Teacher who offers treatments for people, horses, dogs, cats, and other creatures great and small. I also teach Reiki classes for those interested in learning how to treat themselves, their loved ones, and even their animals! Natural Horse Lover Farm is located in Northern New York between the St. Lawrence River and Adirondack Mountains. Heaven on Earth. naturalhorseloverfarm.com

Monday, November 06, 2006

Good News and Bad News

Well, after many schedule issues, Clare and I ended going to Pandapas Pond after all yesterday with Smokey and Whiskey. We had a great time. Unfortunately, I spent part of last night in the hospital ER in shock and getting x-rays on my left knee. After finally getting comfortable in the hospital bed, I begged to let them leave me there to just die—yeah, I am a wimp. I am immobilized and on pain meds, ice, and on bed rest until at least Friday when I have to see an orthopedist. (I am about ready for more pain meds and thought this was a good time to write). I have crutches which makes is a little easier but mostly, I cannot move and am in some true agony.

If you were wondering, I did not get dumped off of Whiskey. Actually, he was fabulous, leading the ride most of the time and showing signs of a great endurance/competetive trail propect. What happened was, I took my little green horse Whiskey to Pandapas Pond with Clare and Smopkey for his first official ride off the property. After about an hour of groundwork and hand walking on the trail, we decided to mount. Well, we used a huge log for mounting—which seemed like a good idea at the time. I ride bareback (with the pad for this ride and used his rope hacakmore) and easily swung my right leg over the horse. However, when I pushed off the left leg on the log to get totally situated, my knee twisted and made a weird noise and feeling. In hind site, I think my sneaker tred got caught on something. I was paying closer attention to the horse, not my own position. This wonderful horse just stood there as I about passed out from that weird, definitely wrong, feeling. Then he got antsy (I suspect my body we sending weird signals to him). I did stay mounted and we rode (we did great, encountering rocks, dogs, and bikes). Anyhow, because I don’t typically use a saddle, my leg was free to hang which apparently, at the time was the best position. When we were done, I dismounted, landing on the right leg only. Then we walked back to the horse trailer, I stepped up into my tack room (in the trailer) and pushed off the left leg—big mistake, it buckled and really hurt. After getting the horses loaded (while gimping around), I even drove us all home (in a stick-shift truck).

However, by the time we got home, I had tremendous swelling. I elevated and iced the knee but it kept getting worse. I took Motrin and drank a beer with dinner to try to feel better---not a good combo. My wonderful friends (Clare, Paul, and Brett) actually stayed over as we planned, for dinner, but I was on the bed, they were in the camping chairs in the bedroom. We watched a movie and tried to forget how terrible this all felt. I thought it was sweet--it is hard to find friends like this and I cherish them. Clare helped Rick finalize the meal and was also my nurse! (The boys by the way rode 4-wheelers at the horse and had a great time.) Anyhow, I had Rick take me to the hospital soon after they left. I was very ill after they left and at this point I could not walk at all and had to hang from him trying to use the good leg—a sight for sure.

So, I will keep in touch and let you all know what is going on. I doubt I will be ready to ride for the rest of the month. Maybe December. ARGH--just when things were going so well!

No comments: